hi!

My practice as a writer has been developing towards audio work, and I have been more and more interested in the medium of radio as a platform for showing my own work, and also in radio’s possible uses as a tool of social empowerment. I am wishing to understand how radio is being used by artists and activists to create spaces that function as community centres, and how radio can be used to facilitate well being for individuals and in localities.
I will need to define what I understand by ‘community’, and also clarify which model of radio I will be studying.

I will be avoiding an ethnographic definition of community, as that is a life times’ work in itself- instead I will work around the ideas and writings of radio and audio artists (Gregory Whitehead, Allen Weiss, Charles Bernstein) and also other writers, artists and activists that offer definitions of community movements that I see Soundart radio as aligning itself alongside (Joan Retallack’s ‘dialogic community’, bell hooks’ ‘communities of resistance’, Felix Guattari’s ‘free radio’ etc.).


Radio for this CEP is a small local public broadcasting venture called Soundart Radio 102.5 FM, which broadcasts under a community license- it is not run for political or commercial gain, it is run by and on behalf of its listening community, and represents both the community of its geographical area, and also radio as a living and historic ‘hot’ media with a international community of listeners, producers, makers and enthusiasts. I will be seeking to understand how Soundart radio fulfils the role of community /ies, and how it serves the desires of said community /ies, and will be reflecting upon and monitoring my own interaction with these ideas as a individual participating, listening and producing, and process this into both audio and writing documentations.

Broadcasting can be considered as a mirror to the way we live, and I am interested in programming and stations that offer alternative and considered options within their scheduling.

Radio art requires a consistent body of research and practice that concentrates on sound at its point of signification, not a literal reading that will collapse into cliché, but a sensitivity to the ways in which meaning in sound circulates, dissipates and re-emerges. The development of an autonomous body of theory and practice regarding aural referentuality- in particular as it relates to radio and electronic media- will contribute to a better understanding of the role that radio art plays in the articulation of social and cultural ideas. (Lander,D. 1994, Radiocastings: musings on radio and art in Radio Rethink



The two community models I will be focusing on are individuals sharing a geographically related relationship within the area of FM reception, and also communities physically distant but still communing /communicating, thorough both FM and Internet radio. I will be looking the social benefits of participation in the arts:

Personal: growth in confidence, creative and transferable skills, social lives are improved through friendships, enjoyment and involvement in the community. In a wider social context: confidence of minority and marginalised groups is gained, promoting social cohesion. There is empowerment of a community to be involved in local affairs, a strengthened commitment to place and an ability to tackle problems. Provides the opportunity to take positive risks, contribute to education and personal and social change (Matarasso, F, 1997: ‘Use or Ornament? Social impact of participation in the arts’ p79-81).



I have secured a practical intern-ship at Soundart radio from September through till December 2010. This community radio station's location, programming and programmers, its geographical area, it's international and local outreach projects and its ethos and manifesto are all relevant to my enquiry.
My particular artistic interest lies with

Transmissions that Publicise the Private, or through an opening of dialogic space create new energy and directions within a social order.

Programming that re-instates the authority of chaos and chance, within the context of a functioning community.

Broadcasting that foregrounds and celebrates ambiguity and individuality, supported by structures of acceptance and value.

Work that transforms attention into action and revitalizes languages’ and radio’s uses in the public sphere.


I intend to immerse myself in the life of this small radio station for my time there.

Tuesday 16 November 2010

Audio outreach *3

This came out adhoc- the pre-organized introduction crashed and burned- my musical files refused to play, and i had to launch straight into the spoken work because I hadn't loaded my tracks onto the play out computer properly...
I was planning on dropping in 20 seconds on odd parts of these tracks-

Earlier I had been feeling very alarmed- i have committed to do a show- I leap at the opportunity, i am grateful for the chance to perform my own work, learn to run the desk, speak my mind.... and find, come Tuesday night 630, I have no script/performance/anything ready to roll.... where have i been all week?!!! (this flags questions of responsibility and privilege, re Simone Bourgeois, sentiment: Art is a privilege, a blessing, a relief/ the whole art mechanism is the result of many privileges/ The privilege was access to the unconscious ) This week i have been- up, down, a good mum, a bad girl, causing trouble, sticking my nose in where it wasn't welcome, hanging out with dear friends, cooking for loved ones, to Torquay to pass my driving theory test, to the last ever graduation at DCA, and the ensuing party, to the allotment, to the cafe to read and .... Ah! To the Cafe to Read!!! I have been absorbed in life, and in plenty of texts too, on behalf of my studies, on behalf/with my kid .
I arranged a mix, a splice of texts that have been used in studies and bedtime readings this week- works that inspired me, made me laugh, confused me, reminded me of my childhood, works i am desperate to share, to discuss, to imbibe.... I got to pay homage to William Boroughs, Grand Master of the Cut-Up- through this piece- who wrote, as Mr Martin " Human activity is drearily predictable. It should now be considered that what you considered a reality is the result of precisely predictable because prerecorded human activity. Now, what can louse up a prerecorded biological recording?" Indeed! Through it all down and see what comes up.
Unfortunately the accompanying sounds not working (my fault) resulted in listeners missing out on the wonders of one of Boroughs' works, and others by Gregory whitehead and Christof Migone... being flustered without the hiding place of minute of track-respite, i also forgot to read off my list of sources.... naughty- - funny to be so keen to push those authors that mean so much to me, and forget to give them credit on air for reading their works-
It was strange to see reoccurring interests laid out-subjectivity, intelligibility, intuition, imagination, collage, voice,- the excerpts were photocopies and arranged in a loose heap on the floor, so the selection process was incidental- reach out and select at random- though as so often is the case with such processes a thread of a theme tied the subjects together.


Scrolling through radio bandwidths reveals interesting connections- I felt I could mirror this effect by creating a montage of literature as a script. I have experimented with radio 'as orracle' a device of personal address- ask a question, scroll through the bandwidth, listen to relevant/pick up on unexpected responses to your question...

Following Ferdinand De Saussure, ‘Language is not a function of the speaker; it is a product that is passively assimilated by the individual’, we can recognise that culture is the agent of this assimilation, and that a individual learns the basic patterning of their native conditioning- we learn concepts and contexts as we learn ways of hearing, seeing, communicating. the reading that i am using in this piece is a form of input- I am an assemblage of this work (and innumerable other works and experiences ;-) Input that informs us informs our output. I wanted to make a work that showed some of the input I had been working with- ideas, narratives, manuals- socially acquired information in paper text form, in through my eyes, then out through my mouth, into the ears of others ( via the mic). ‘It is the social side of speech, outside the individual who can never create or modify it by himself; it exists only by virtue of a sort of contract signed by the members of a community.’ Ferdinand De Saussure, Course in general Linguistics, 1916 assembled form class notes, p 59, Literary theory: An Anthology, ed Julie Rivkin and M Ryan1998, Singapore, Blackwell Publishing.  These works fulfil a desire in me- I was hoping to honour them (particularly the theoretical works calling for ambiguity and practices of dislocation) by making a radio piece that playfully made them further available- if listeners wished to enter into 'contrac't with my work and listen.

The failing of this work was the reading- some of the works were particularly theoretical, and the enunciation and lilt of the voice was not necessarily in keeping with the information- a shame that content was compromised by my inarticulation of certain phrases, where a more measured reading might have kept the themes more alive. I have read that because of radio's ephemeral nature, information needs to be stripped back to basics, for the 99% of listeners that are not solely concentrating of the program they are listening to, but also because the continuum needs to be simple to be 'kept up with'. I do not agree this-  my skills as a orator are still undeveloped- but i think work heard can be just as influential as work read.  Poetry might highlight this better than anything else- speech brings language to life...


(see page: 'audio outreach story time' for the script).

No comments:

Post a Comment